My Christmas...  

Posted by Tony Guerrero


1. 2 Kids + One Grandma With No Shopping Self-Control = Way Too Many Gifts.
Seriously, where are we gonna store this stuff? And this picture is only one of two van-fulls, not to mention the stuff under the tree. Sheesh.


2. All the grandparents, parents, kids & grand kids together for the first time in...dunno how long.


3. Another action packed year of Christmas services at Saddleback. After all the work, I love hearing the music come from this family of dedicated volunteers, and it sure is a beautiful sight seeing a congregation of people lighting candles and singing about the Savior.



4. For Christmas this year, my gift to my family started as a little weekend project back in October. It turned into a 3-month ordeal, with about an $800 price tag. But worth it. I gathered every old photo from both sides of my family, dating from roughly the 1890s to the 1990s, and had them all scanned. I also found hundreds of undeveloped slides and negatives, mostly from the 1940s-50s-60s and unseen for decades (some never seen!) and had them developed and scanned. And three unseen 8mm films of my family from around 1971. In total, the final discs hold 9,440 photos, spanning both sides of my family over the last century.

I learned so much about my family going through these. For example, my uncles on my mom's side hosted their own radio show in Hollywood in the 1940s, and featured guests like 40s bombshell Jane Russell (that's the first picture above, my Uncle Otto on the left) - how could I have not known that?!? And my great-uncle on my dad's side was a candidate for President of Mexico, but was assasinated by the sitting president?!? (I have pictures of my uncle, but the newspaper above shows my grandmother at the funeral, far left.)

So, now, if the house ever burns down, we don't need to grab the photo albums because they are all preserved on multiple copies, and my family will have them to pass on forever!

(By the way - while I scanned about 1,500 photos myself, the bulk of them were done by www.scanmyphotos.com. They are in Irvine, but also do it through the mail at the crazy low price of $49 per 1,000 photos!)


So, how was your Christmas?

This entry was posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 at Friday, December 26, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Wow! I have thousands of pictures and slides that I would love to have on disc! I think that will be MY project for next year too! That price is a deal!
Ok..who is the blond man in the middle, back row of your family pic? I think I know him...somehow. Can you let me know?(julieannhibbard@yahoo.com)
Your son's face is priceless in that shot! It's everyones TRUE feeling for sure!!
I worked Christmas too...I have to say I miss the days of toys and kids on Chrismas morning!! I know you are enjoying it!

12/26/2008 10:20 AM

The guy you're asking about is my brother-in-law, Dave Foley. He has been on tons of TV shows, including starring or lead roles on NewsRadio, Kids In The Hall, A Bug's Life, Will & Grace, etc.

12/26/2008 1:36 PM
Anonymous  

Tony - Thanks for the mention and most importantly for trusting ScanMyPhotos.com to help digitally preserve your generation’s of special family photos. We added your wonderful Christmas story to our blog.

Mitch Goldstone
President & CEO
ScanMyPhotos.com

Please remind your friends to use our 24/7 Live Support so we can help immediately answer any questions they might have about our super-fast, same day scanning Stop by and say hello when you're in the area at our Irvine retail photo center.

12/26/2008 1:44 PM

NewsRadio was one of my favorite TV programs and I was sad when one of the other stars was killed which canceled the show. Always enjoyed Dave Foley in that role.
Dick Moore

12/26/2008 6:18 PM

Dave Foley rocks. I loved Kids in the Hall and Newsradio.

12/28/2008 5:32 PM

Post a Comment