The Home Studio Revolution  

Posted by Tony Guerrero


In the old days, getting your music recorded required a sizeable budget and the rental of a big, fancy studio. These days, people can recreate that in their own home, often with better results, with the purchase of a computer and a few pieces of gear. I was around as the shift began to take place in the very late 80's and early 90's and as it crystalized in the late 90's and 2000's. I remember many early discussions about how it would change the industry, and it did. But in those early days, no one was talking about the internet.

Nowadays, the internet means that two people with recording studios can work together without being in the same room, or the same state, or the same country. I do more recording sessions these days in the privacy of my recording studio and sending files over the internet than I do traveling to studios to work with the people I'm recording with. I record my trumpet or keyboard parts for producers and artists as far away as Europe and never even meet them. These days, you can be in a studio in Los Angeles directing an orchestra that is playing in Chzecoslovakia - live and in real time.

Recently, my friend Scott Reed and I wrote a song together over the phone. We started at around 6am (we have kids!) and by sending recorded files back and forth, we had a finished recording by 10am - and he lives in St. Louis! Today, I started writing with one of my favorite worship songwriters who lives in Colorado and whom I may not actually see face to face for years!

Times have changed - I'm glad I got to experience the old way, but, man, I love the new way!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at Wednesday, September 03, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Two weeks ago, I finally bought some cheap recording software, and have already been able to send stuff to songwriters and get their opinions. I'm lovin' it.
My second album was recorded in a friends home, and it sounds better than the first one I did in Nashville with the pro's.

9/04/2008 3:55 PM

I miss the hiss and pops of 2 inch tape! But, yes. Technology sure has made things collaborative over time and space. So cool.

9/04/2008 11:27 PM

hmmm this story reminds me of something
.... you're getting old....
(just thought i'd remind you) :)

9/08/2008 9:57 PM

Post a Comment