Can't figure it out...  

Posted by Tony Guerrero


So, I spent much of my life trying to be a good jazz trumpet player (the jury is still out), but it turns out my biggest recording ever (multi-platinum seller!) was playing piano on a bubble-gum pop song for Disney's High School Musical.

Then, I spend much of my life honing my songwriting chops so I can contribute something meaningful to the American Songbook. Well, it turns out the Hallmark Channel has chosen a church-worship song I co-wrote as their new station ID. But they did away with the entire song except for one line, and as a one-line ditty it has instantly become my most profitable song.

Am I trying too hard? I'm not the first to think so, but the music business is weird.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at Tuesday, March 25, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

All I think this means is that the market is now dominated by kids (Disney)...and the elderly (Hallmark)

3/25/2008 2:08 PM

Dang, caught in the middle again.

3/25/2008 2:21 PM

Tony,

Thanks so much for joining us 'round the cultural watercooler at Ethos.

I would love for you to join us again this week with a post on your blog.

The more of us that gather the more exciting it becomes.

"None of us are as smart as all of us."

Thanks so much!!!

Randy

3/26/2008 8:13 AM

I can't wait to tell my 8 year old daughter that you played the piano on HSM...she will love you forever..well, until she becomes a teenager but then again when she is old enough to watch the Hallmark channel! BTW...not elderly YET and I LOVE THE HALLMARK CHANNEL...so HA ALLISON :)!

3/27/2008 10:09 AM

Post a Comment